What to expect
Your practitioner has requested that you have a PET scan. This procedure is being done to produce detailed images of your body. Before the procedure you will receive a small injection of radioactive sugar (called FDG) into a vein. You will be asked to relax in a recliner for up to one hour while the FDG travels through your body. It is important that you do not move during the exam. The actual scan will be completed in 45 – 60 minutes. Please plan for your appointment to take 2-3 hours.
One day before your PET scan
|1) Avoid strenuous exercise within 24 hours of your appointment.|
|2) Eat a high protein/low carbohydrate diet. Some examples of foods you may eat include|
|• black coffee
• diet soda
• red wine
|• eggs (any style) and cheese
• meat (bacon, sausage, steak, beef, pork, chicken or salmon)
• vegetables (green vegetables, including asparagus, celery,
broccoli, and lettuce as well as mushrooms)
|3) No carbohydrates, especially rich foods like pasta, potatoes, cereal, rice, bread and salad dressings|
On the day of your PET scan
Please arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to allow for parking and registration. Please plan to spend approximately 2-3 hours in our department. If you bring friends or family to the appointment they will be asked to wait in a waiting room during your scan. Children cannot be left unattended during your scan. Please arrange for a caregiver.
- Wear warm, loose, comfortable clothing with no metal. (Remove all jewelry)
- No food or liquid except water for six hours prior to the exam.
- Do not chew gum.
- You may take regularly scheduled medications if they can be tolerated on an empty stomach.
- No exercise or vigorous activity. For diabetic patients (in addition to the instructions above):
- Do not take insulin injections at least four hours prior to the exam.
- You will receive additional information specific to your preparation for the PET scan.
After the PET scan
You may resume normal activity. Drink plenty of water to expedite the FDG leaving your body.
Our radiologist will study your examination and a report will be forwarded to your practitioner, from whom you may obtain the results. If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact our department at at 608-342-4740.
Date of appointment _______________________________________ Time_____________________
Your procedure will be performed at Southwest Health at 1400 Eastside Road – Platteville, WI 53818. Please use the Main Hospital Entrance and check in at the Registration Desk prior to your scheduled procedure.
If you cannot keep your appointment please contact the radiology department at 608-342-4740 so that me may accommodate another patient.
NOTE: It may take 2-3 days to obtain verification from your insurance company for exams that require prior authorization, such as CT, MRI, Nuclear Stress, Injections, etc.