Education & Training
- Undergraduate Degree — University of South Dakota in Vermillion, SD
- Medical Degree — Doctor of Medicine from Creighton University in Omaha, NE
- Residency — General Surgery from the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science in Rochester, MN
- Fellowship — NIH Research Fellow, GI Research Unit from the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science in Rochester, MN
- Board Certification — General Surgery
Dr. Houghton is a highly experienced, board certified general surgeon. He grew up in rural South Dakota and has lived throughout the Midwest. Having practiced in both referral centers and critical access hospitals, he brings a large body of knowledge and experience to Southwest Health.
Special Interests: Dr. Houghton’s special interests include a broad range of procedures, including office-based, complex open, laparoscopic, and endoscopic surgeries.
Personal Interests: In his free time, Dr. Houghton enjoys spending time with his family, animals, working on his hobby farm, traveling, cooking, and cycling.