Diabetes Educator (RN or RD)
July 17, 2023
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing or have a bachelor’s degree in Dietetics or related field.
- Three years’ experience as a certified diabetes educator preferred.
- Must fulfill licensure requirements of the State of Wisconsin for an RN and be legally eligible to practice in the state of Wisconsin.
- If Registered Dietitian, one to two years’ experience preferred and current Dietetic certification with the State of Wisconsin required.
- Credentialed diabetes educator preferred, meeting the academic, professional, and experiential requirements set forth by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators.
- Must have academic preparation and/or experience in program management and in the care of persons with chronic disease.
- Must have continuing education and experience in both diabetes and behavioral teaching/counseling skills.
- If RN, knowledge of and understands the Wisconsin Nurse Practice Act and RN Scope of Practice. Must oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the DSME/T program. Proficient in various computer applications, including spreadsheets. Must be certified in Basic Life Support (BLS).
We are seeking a full-time (40 hours/week) Diabetes to work Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm.
Plans, organizes, directs, supervises, manages, coordinates, and evaluates activities of the Diabetes Department. Ensures department compliance with current federal, state, local, and TJC (The Joint Commission) standards.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Provides direction for the selection, and ongoing review, of the curriculum and educational materials to ensure they meet the needs of the population targeted.
- Directs marketing activities for the department.
- Develops and directs the implementation of an annual program evaluation plan and performance improvement activities, including CQI projects.
- Ensures that DSME/T program accreditation requirements are met and maintained.
- Develops and maintains relationships and partnerships with community groups, payers and potential referral sources.
- Participates in community diabetes awareness programs such as health fairs and serving on local committees or boards.
- Interfaces with the volunteer Diabetes Advisory Committee.
- Assesses the population-specific needs of patients and adjusts care, instruction and interaction appropriate to the needs of the patient.
- Communicates regularly with providers regarding recommendation for patient participants in the DSME/T program.
- Performs diabetes consults on patients in the inpatient setting as needed.
- Coordinates monthly community diabetes education group.
- Facilitates behavior change by counseling patients and families on how to adopt informed lifestyle decisions and incorporate healthier choices into their self-management focusing on the AADE7 Self-Care Behaviors.
- Provide self-management training/education and other interventions to prevent the development of diabetes.
- Adheres to Southwest Health’s value-based behavior standards.
- Understands and adheres to Southwest Health compliance and HIPAA standards as they appear in the Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested or required within scope of practice for licensure.
We believe that together we can change lives, and we anticipate your life will change in the process. If you aspire to help others find hope and live better, we invite you to submit your application below. Click Here to learn what others say about SH.
SH is truly an outstanding place to work. A full benefit package is available for employees working 20 hours/week or greater which includes: Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance. Also available are long and short term disability, cell phone discount, flexible spending plan, paid time off, retirement plan with an employer contribution, fitness membership discount as well as use of exercise equipment at the facility.
Attn: Human Resources
1400 East Side Rd
Platteville, WI 53818
Phone: (608) 342-4796
Fax: (608) 342-5015