Sterile Processing Technician
December 30, 2022
- Requires a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Preferred to have a one year of sterile processing experience, Central Supply Processing Department Technician (CSPDT), or Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification, Certified Instrument Specialist (CIS) certification or Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) credentials.
- Must receive CSPCT, or CRCST certification within 1 year of employment.
- Familiarization with medical terminology and prior health care experience.
- Knowledge of basic office procedures/equipment and computer systems.
We are seeking a full-time Sterile Processing Tech to work full-time (40 hours/week), Monday-Friday.
Hours: Position will train from 6:45am-3:30pm, but will eventually transition to 8:00am-4:30pm or 8:30am-5:00pm depending on department needs.
The sterile processing technician will be responsible for preparing and assembling medical and surgical supplies, instruments, and equipment, maintaining the sterile processing areas and receiving and distributing surgical supplies and equipment. Works under the direction of the Surgical Leads.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Follow established protocols for cleaning, decontaminating, preparing and packaging, disinfecting or sterilizing, and storing medical and surgical supplies and equipment.
- Distribute medical and surgical supplies from sterile processing areas to other areas within the facility or health care organization as needed.
- Adhere to standard precautions including the use of personal protective equipment.
- Follow safety procedures and manufacturer’s instructions when handling cleaning solutions, supplies and equipment.
- Operate equipment used in the sterile processing areas safely and according to the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
- Monitor, interpret, and document results of physical, chemical and biological indicators for all types of sterilizers used in the sterile processing areas.
- Prepare and distribute surgical case carts according to physician’s preference lists and anticipated needs of the perioperative team.
- Inventory, receive, and restock materials used for supporting sterile processing services.
- Assist with improving the quality of sterile processing services.
- Assist with identifying pertinent evidence to establish benchmarks as directed.
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality of individuals and health information.
- Maintains the Surgical Unit per policy by keeping the unit neat and organized.
- Assists in the maintenance, care, and cleaning of equipment and supplies.
- Assembling supplies and equipment required for surgical procedures.
- Ensuring sterility of the sterile field in the operating room and taking corrective actions as needed.
- Answers the telephone in a customer friendly manner always portraying a desire to assist the caller. Answers telephone and call lights, takes messages, and communicates messages to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
- Establishes and maintains open lines of communication with physicians, OR personnel and any other ancillary hospital personnel at all times and especially with changes to the schedule.
- Will prioritize workload throughout the workday to best meet the needs of the fast paced department. Develop a routine that allows for maximal use of time and the ability to multitask.
- Attends and completes all departmental specific competencies and annual organizational requirements.
- Demonstrates ability to meet the department work schedule.
- Comply with organizational policies, regulatory and accreditation standards, and professional guidelines (ie: AAMI, AORN Perioperative Standards)
- Adheres to Southwest Health’s value-based behavior standards.
- Understands and adheres to Southwest Health compliance and HIPAA standards as they appear in the Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as requested or required.
We believe that together we can change lives, and we anticipate your life will change in the process. If you aspire to help others find hope and live better, we invite you to submit your application below. Click Here to learn what others say about SH.
SH is truly an outstanding place to work. A full benefit package is available for employees working 20 hours/week or greater which includes: Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance. Also available are long and short term disability, cell phone discount, flexible spending plan, paid time off, retirement plan with an employer contribution, fitness membership discount as well as use of exercise equipment at the facility.
Attn: Human Resources
1400 East Side Rd
Platteville, WI 53818
Phone: (608) 342-4796
Fax: (608) 342-5015