Fiber is well-known as an important part of nutrition; yet the average American gets just 12-15 grams of fiber a day – far below the recommended 25-30 grams. So how can you increase your fiber without making huge changes to your diet? Try these simple snack and meal recipes:
- Yogurt with fresh fruit – Raspberries and blueberries are high in fiber and taste delicious mixed in with vanilla yogurt.
- Bran flakes cereal – Every ¾ cup of bran flakes contains 5.5 grams of fiber. Want to spruce up your cereal and increase your fiber? Cut up a banana to add another 3 grams of fiber to this simple, yummy breakfast.
- Stir fry – Get most of your daily fiber in one meal with a stir fry! Good sources of fiber that also taste delicious in a stir fry include: brown rice, broccoli, almonds, green peas, and carrots. If you don’t like rice, try adding these ingredients to whole-wheat spaghetti instead!
- Smoothies – The perfect on-the-go breakfast that can easily be packed with fiber from blueberries, raspberries, a banana, orange slices, strawberries, kale, and spinach. To get your extra boost of fiber blend in some ground flax seed.
- Chili – A delicious cold weather favorite made with plenty of high-fiber ingredients!